1/2 Photos of Beef Chili With Bacon & Black Beans
2 hrs 35 mins
I found this recipe in the March, 2003 issue of Cook's Illustrated Magazine. We just love this chili and hope that you will, too! It is best served with the optional condiments, the more variety, the better! The flavor is better if you make it a day or two before and then reheated, which means it makes great leftovers, too ;) Freezes well up to one month.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 8 strips)
- 2 medium onions, chopped fine (about 2 cups)
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 2 lbs 85% lean ground beef
- 2 (16 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28 ounce) can tomato puree
- table salt, to taste
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- 1Fry bacon in large heavy-bottomed nonreactive Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring frequently, until browned, about 8 minutes.
- 2Pour off all but 2 tablespoons fat, leaving bacon in pot.
- 3Add onions, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, coriander, pepper flakes, oregano, and cayenne; cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are softened and beginning to brown, about 10 minutes.
- 4Increase heat to medium-high and add half the beef; cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink and just beginning to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 5Add remaining beef and cook, breaking up pieces with wooden spoon, until no longer pink, 3 to 4 minutes.
- 6Add beans, tomatoes, tomato puree, and 1/2 teaspoon salt; bring to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, stirring occasionally, for 1 hour.
- 7Remove cover and continue to simmer 1 hour longer, stirring occasionally (if chili begins to stick to bottom of pot, stir in 1/2 cup water and continue to simmer), until beef is tender and chili is dark, rich, and slightly thickened.
- 8Adjust seasoning with additional salt.
- 9Serve with lime wedges and condiments if desired.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Chili With Bacon & Black Beans
Serving Size: 1 (446 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 461.8
- Calories from Fat 227
- Total Fat 25.2 g
- Saturated Fat 8.9 g
- Cholesterol 77.1 mg
- Sodium 441.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.4 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 28.4 g