1/1 Photo of Beef Chili With Ancho, Red Beans and Chocolate
I made this from Tyler Florence's Real Kitchen book. It was AMAZING! I just had to share with you all! I made some ingredient substitutions in mine that may make it easier for you too. Enjoy!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ancho chilies, seeded and hand torn into pieces (I used powdered because we couldn't find them in the store) or 2 tablespoons dried ancho chile powder (I used powdered because we couldn't find them in the store)
- 3 lbs beef shoulder (I used a black angus london broil)
- sea salt (I used kosher) or kosher salt (I used kosher)
- fresh ground black pepper
- 2 onions, diced (I used one very large Vidalia)
- 10 garlic cloves, halved
- 3 canned chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped (I used Louisiana Chipotle sauce since we did not have the peppers in adobo) or 2 ounces louisiana hot sauce (I used Louisiana Chipotle sauce since we did not have the peppers in adobo)
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and chopped
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons coriander
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 (28 ounce) can whole canned tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 (15 1/2 ounce) cans kidney beans, drained
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened chocolate
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (to garnish)
- 1Toast the ancho chile pieces over low heat in a dry skillet until fragrant, shaking the pan so they don't scorch.
- 2Put the chiles in a food processor and pulse until they are powder.
- 3Cut the beef into large and season with salt and pepper.
- 4Put beef in large soup pot and add enough water to cover by one inch.
- 5Place over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- 6Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- 7Mix in onions, garlic, chipotles, and jalapeño.
- 8Stir in the chili powder, coriander, cumin, paprika, oregano, sugar, cinnamon, and powdered ancho chilies.
- 9Pour the entire can of tomatoes into a bowl and crush by hand until chunky.
- 10Add tomatoes and tomato paste to the pot.
- 11Simmer for 2 hours.
- 12As it cooks down you can add more water if necessary (we didn't need to but you may).
- 13When done, take a wooden spoon and beat chili vigorously so that meat comes apart in shreds.
- 14(I used two forks like I do with pulled pork).
- 15Stir in beans and corn meal.
- 16Cover only partially (so the chili doesn't get watery).
- 17Simmer for one hour stirring occasionally In the last 5 minutes, stir in the chocolate.
- 18Before serving, garnish with cheddar.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Chili With Ancho, Red Beans and Chocolate
Serving Size: 1 (473 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 586.0
- Calories from Fat 241
- Total Fat 26.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.1 g
- Cholesterol 139.8 mg
- Sodium 873.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 33.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 7.3 g
- Protein 54.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
chipotle chiles in adobo