Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
Lower carb chili
- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium bell pepper, chopped
- 1 small sweet red pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 16 ounces canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped and juice reserved
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons canned tomato paste
- 14 1⁄2 ounces nonfat beef broth
- 1 teaspoon bay leaves, crumbled or 1 whole bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon table salt, to taste
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- Heat large Dutch oven covered with cooking spraty over medium-high heat.
- Add beef and cook until browned, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Remove beef from pan and pour out excess fat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Add onion and peppers; cook until golden, stirring frequently, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder, cumin and oregano, and cook 30 seconds more, stirring constantly.
- Add tomatoes and juice, tomato paste, beef broth, bay leaf and vinegar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until slightly thickened, about 20 minutes.