Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Meaty, hearty chili with mushrooms, bell peppers and just enough spice that anyone will love it.
- 1⁄4 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 stem celery, chopped
- 4 large white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes
- 15 ounces chili, no beans
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 15 ounces red kidney beans
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- In a large dutch oven, saute onion, celery and beef in olive oil over medium-high heat until meat is brown and veg is tender.
- Add garlic and chili powder, stir 30 seconds.
- Add chili, green bell pepper, tomatoes, beans, tomato sauce, salt and pepper, bring to a boil.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Add mushrooms, simmer uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Serve with cheddar cheese and sour cream if desired.