Recipe by E. Brooks
This chili recipe is simple to make and strong on flavor. It was adapted from a recipe found in Texas Home Cooking by Jamison and Jamison. I would highly reccomend using a homemade chili powder, but a store-bought one can be used, if needed. This is an excellent dish to make ahead of time and reheat before serving. The heat of the dish can be increased or decreased by adjusting the amount of chili powder used.
Top Review by lizeroo
Made this for supper tonight and my recently picky 6 yr old ate it without too much prompting- even though I doubled the amt of chili powder! Success. The only change I would make next time is to add some red pepper for color and a tsp of cumin for extra flavour.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 16 ounces tomatoes, cut up or minced
- 16 ounces dark red kidney beans, drained
- 18 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded