Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This recipe is from the Super Cookery Lowfat & Salads cookbooks.
Make and share this Beef, Chestnut, & Rice Soup recipe from Food.com.
- 12 ounces lean beef
- 4 cups fresh beef stock
- 1 cinnamon stick, broken
- 2 star anise
- 2 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons dry sherry
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 (4 ounce) can water chestnuts, drained and sliced
- 3 cups cooked white rice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 6 tablespoons orange juice
- salt and pepper
- orange rind, cut into strips
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- Using a sharp knife, carefully trim away any fat from the beef.
- Cut the beef into thin strips and then place into a large saucepan.
- Add the stock, cinnamon, star anise, soy sauce, sherry, tomato paste, and water chestnuts.
- Bring to a boil, skimming away any surface film with a flat ladle.
- Cover the pan and simmer gently for about 20 minutes or until the beef is tender.
- Skim the soup with a flat ladle again to remove any film.
- Remove and discard the cinnamon and star anise and blot the surface with absorbent paper towels to remove any fat.
- Stir in the rice, orange rind, and juice.
- Adjust the seasoning if necessary.
- Heat through for 2-3 minutes before ladling into warm bowls.
- Serve garnished with orange rind and snipped chives.