Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A delicious, hearty winter meal from Olive Magazine.
- 450 g beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 300 ml beef stock
- 200 g chestnuts, cooked & peeled
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 250 ml red wine
- seasoned flour
- Cube the beef and dredge it in the seasoned flour.
- Fry the beef in oil over a high heat until browned in a dutch oven.
- Add the onions and keep frying until they start to brown.
- Add the thyme, wine and stock, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 1 hour, lid on.
- Add the carrots and chestnuts, season and cook gently for a further hour, lid off.
Takes care of itself in the oven while you get on with something else (like drinking the rest of the red wine).
Delicious, simply and hearty.
Yum yum. I made this with venison (instead of the beef)for my Solstice dinner party and my guests loved it. Thanks Moor Driver, its a keeper:-)