1/1 Photo of Beef & Cheese Enchiladas
My son needed an enchilada recipe for his Food Science class. He wanted my recipe, but I don't use a recipe per se'. I have guestimated here and I think it should be pretty close to what I make. My enchiladas are comfort food. We have these for New Years because we are usually tired of turkey and ham by then. These can be made all beef or all cheese.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil or 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon dried coriander
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes, pureed in blender
- 14 ounces chicken broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1/2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1/2 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1Brown ground beef with onion and garlic salt just until pink is gone.Remove beef from skillet and set aside.
- 2In the same skillet heat the oil. Add the next 11 ingredients and stir over heat until bubbly and spices have released their fragrance.
- 3Stir in tomato puree, and stir till well blended. Stir in broth and water. Bring to a boil and lower heat.Taste and adjust seasoning. Leave to simmer until slightly thickened.
- 4Preheat oven to 400*.
- 5In a casserole dish spoon a couple of tablespoons of the sauce to coat bottom. Pick up one tortilla with tongs and dredge the tortilla through the sauce.
- 6Leave the tortilla submerged just enough to soften but not fall apart.
- 7Lay tortilla in the casserole and spoon 1/12 of the beef mixture & 1/12 of the Jack cheese. Roll the tortilla over the filling and lay seam side down in the casserole.
- 8Repeat with the rest of the tortillas. Pour remaining sauce over all the enchiladas. Sprinkle the Cheddar over the top of the casserole.
- 9Bake in 400* oven for 20 minute or until sauce is bubbling and cheese is melted.
Browse Our Top North American Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All North American Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef & Cheese Enchiladas
Serving Size: 1 (391 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1051.5
- Calories from Fat 632
- Total Fat 70.2 g
- Saturated Fat 32.0 g
- Cholesterol 187.4 mg
- Sodium 1239.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 48.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.0 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 58.2 g