Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
Wholesome family casserole. From Super Food Ideas magazine, June 2012
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 800 g steak, beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 3cm pieces
- 3 carrots, medium, peeled & chopped
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 420 g heinz big red condensed salt reduced tomato soup
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 cup lentils, Puy, dried and uncooked
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in large heavy based casserole dish over medium heat. Cook beef in batches for 5 - 6 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a bowl.
- Return beef to pan. Add carrots and vinegar. Cook stirring for 2 minutes or until the vinegar is reduced slightly Stir in soup and stock. Cover. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Simmer for 2 hours or until beef is tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Meanwhile cook the lentils according to packet directions. Drain. Add to beef mixture. Season with salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- Note: You could use a 400gm can of lentils, draioned and rinsed instead of dried lentils.
For this casserole I used 2 pounds of stew meat instead of chuck. Chopped one half of an onion and 4 small stalks of celery I needed to use. Served this over brown rice with steamed vegetables and we enjoyed a hearty meal. Think for us a bit more seasoning would have helped the flavors pop and make this a five star recipe.