Prep 31 mins
Cook 15 mins
I have included in the prep time the 10 minutes that the casserole has to sit so that it can set.
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons garlic, crushed
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 2⁄3 cups prepared tomato sauce
- 8 ounces small shell pasta
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups beef stock or 1 1⁄4 cups chicken stock
- 1 1⁄4 cups 2% low-fat milk
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- In large nonstick skillet, heat oil; saute garlic and onions for 4 minutes.
- Add beef and saute until no longer pink, approximately 4 minutes.
- Add stock and tomato sauce; simmer on low heat for 12 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- Set aside.
- Cook pasta in boiling water according to package instructions or until firm to the bite.
- Drain and place in baking dish.
- In medium nonstick saucepan, melt margarine, add flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add stock and milk; simmer on medium heat until slightly thickened, approximately 5 minutes.
- Add Cheddar cheese and Parmesan cheese.
- Add tomato sauce mixture to pasta.
- Mix well.
- Pour cheese sauce over top.
- Cover and bake for 15 minutes or until hot.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
We liked it. Not loved it, but liked it. I found it a bit bland, but DS licked the dish clean. I think I'd add something to up the flavor however.
This was a great family pleaser. I followed the recipe exactly. My husband thought the sauce tasted like chicken 'n' dumplings sauce (which he loves). Our little family gobbled up the whole recipe. If you have more than 2 adults and 2 small kids, make doubles of this one!
This is so good I did what kid had for the directions and it turned out so good. Will have to make more next time everyone loved this.