3 hrs 20 mins
This recipe comes from an episode of America's Test Kitchen. I am adding it to my cookbook for future use.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs beef blade steak, cut into 1-inch chunks (trim silver skin off and remove the gristle from the center)
- 2 lbs yellow onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 1/2 cups odouls brand amber beer (you can use your fav. dark beer but this brand is non-alcoholic)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- fresh thyme, tied into a small bundle with twine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1In a dutch oven or oven safe pot heat 1 teaspoons of the veg oil over med-high heat; brown the beef in small batches. When the pieces are nice and brown all over, set aside.
- 2In the same pot add the other teaspoons of veg. oil, turn heat down to medium-low, add onions and salt to help remove moisture. Cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes then turn heat up to medium and cook onions until they are golden (about 14-15 minutes).
- 3Add tomato paste, garlic and flour, stir and cook for 2 minutes.
- 4Add beer and both broths. Scrape all the lovely bits of fond off the bottom of the pot.
- 5Add thyme bundle and bay leaves along with cider vinegar.
- 6Add the cooked meat in with it's juices.
- 7Season to taste with salt & pepper. Bring to a good simmer.
- 8Cover pot with lid. Offset the lid a bit so steam can escape while cooking in the oven.
- 9Cook for 2-2 1/2 hours in a 300º oven.
- 10Before serving remove thyme bundle and bay leaves.
- 11Serve over cooked egg noodles.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Carbonnade (Beef & Beer Stew)
Serving Size: 1 (410 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 593.4
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 174.8 mg
- Sodium 391.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 21.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 6.9 g
- Protein 53.3 g