Recipe by George Clement
This is a tasty dish from the Philippines. I live in the Philippines and this dish was prepared by my Filipino wife, it is the common recipe for Caldereta in the Philippines. It is a rich, very filling meaty dish and when served on a bed of cooked rice can be a one dish family meal.
Top Review by ChunkyPorkChops
Yes, there is a dish from the Philippines called caldereta, but this is NOT it. Pineapple juice? Cheese? I added the pineapple juice but did not add the cheese. The pineapple juice just didn't work well. Will not be making this again, will stick to the caldereta recipe that true Filipinos cook.
- 2 lbs beef, cubed
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup liver, spread
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 3 large bay leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the beef until tender, in the water to make a nice beef broth. Add pineapple juice and onion,.
- In a separate pan sauté garlic until almost brown. Add to beef and broth.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
- Add bay leaves, bell pepper, carrots, and potatoes.
- Simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender, then add cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add optional Tabasco sauce.
- Cook until cheese is melted, stir.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add water if the mixture is too thick.
- Serve hot on individual servings of a bed of cooked rice.