This is a tasty dish from the Philippines. I live in the Philippines and this dish was prepared by my Filipino wife, it is the common recipe for Caldereta in the Philippines. It is a rich, very filling meaty dish and when served on a bed of cooked rice can be a one dish family meal.
- 2 lbs beef, cubed
- 3 -4 cups water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄2 cup tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup liver, spread
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
- 3 large bay leaves
- 3 medium potatoes, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- salt and pepper
- Boil the beef until tender, in the water to make a nice beef broth. Add pineapple juice and onion,.
- In a separate pan sauté garlic until almost brown. Add to beef and broth.
- Add the tomato sauce and tomato paste and allow to simmer for ten minutes.
- Add bay leaves, bell pepper, carrots, and potatoes.
- Simmer until potatoes and carrots are tender, then add cheese and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add optional Tabasco sauce.
- Cook until cheese is melted, stir.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Add water if the mixture is too thick.
- Serve hot on individual servings of a bed of cooked rice.