Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Simple, cheap, and good food...
- 1 medium head of cabbage, chopped
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can tomato soup
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Brown beef with onion.
- Boil cabbage 3 min, than drain.
- Alternate layers of beef and onion with cabbage in 2 qt casserole or crock pot.
- Pour soup, undiluted, over top.
- Bake uncovered 30 min at 350 F, or 6-8 hrs on low in crock pot.
After seeing Derf's photos of this recipe I knew I had to try it. So, on 4/7/09 I did :). As the meat and onions were cooking, I added some garlic powder, seasoned salt, and pepper.I made a slight mistake with the tomato soup, after draining the beef/onion mixture and returning to pan that's when the soup was added. The soup/meat mixture was a little on the thick side, so I added about 1/3 cup of water and a bit of Italian seasonings. I placed half of the meat mixture into a lightly sprayed 8 x 8 inch pan, placed the cabbage on top and covered with remaining meat mixture.Baked for 30 minutes and after eating thought it could use some other type of seasoning. Thanks for posting and, "Keep Smiling :)"
This was nice and quick for a busy night, but was lacking in flavour. Another time I would add some herbs and spices to kick it up a bit. Instead of the tomato soup I used a can of stewed tomatoes chopped because that was what I had in. I cooked it in the oven and served it with boiled potato. Thanks for posting.