Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Delicious, hearty soup full of cabbage, carrots, ground beef and onions. Tomato base and just the right amount of spices. Wonderful served with crusty home-made bread. Try with Rye Bread!
- 453.59 g ground beef (drain off fat)
- 1 head cabbage (chopped)
- 1 small sweet onion (sliced)
- 4-6 carrots (sliced)
- 2 stalk celery (sliced)
- 473.18 ml beef stock
- 118.29 ml red wine
- 3 beef bouillon cubes (I used Knorr)
- 709.77 ml water
- 453.59 g can red kidney beans, undrained
- 2 (340.19 g) can tomato paste
- 793.78 g can tomatoes, chopped and liquid added to soup
- 14.79 ml dark brown sugar
- 29.58 ml Worcestershire sauce
- 0.5 ml caraway seeds
- 0.5 ml fennel seeds
- 1.23 ml black pepper
- 3.69 ml garlic salt
- 1.23 ml garlic powder
- Chop onion, cabbage, carrots and celery. Saute in 2 tbsp olive oil. (Do not brown!) Just saute till the vegetables are tender. Remove to Large Pot.
- Use same pan as above and cook ground beef (you may substitute ground turkey) then drain off fat. Add to Pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir well. (I pinch the fennel seed and caraway seed between my fingers to slightly break open the seeds instead of throwing in whole seeds.)
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 3-4 hours till all vegetables are very tender. Serve with a crusty bread. Enjoy!
This was a wonderful dish. I just loved the flavors. Very quick to put together and let simmer on the stove. The only thing I did different was to just add one can of tomato paste and not two. I would definitely make this soup again. I loved the nice tomato flavor with the nice sweet taste of the brown sugar. Great mix of flavors. Thanks so much for posting this recipe chefRD....totally enjoyed by us all
A delicious soup! All of the ingredients blend well together for an awesome flavor! Easy to prepare. Prepared as a participant of 2008 Spring PAC and Spring 2008 Photo Forum Events.