Prep 45 mins
Cook 30 mins
Everyone loves this dip. I love it because, unlike most taco type dips, I can make it a few days ahead. I try to please everyone by using Hot Ortegas and hot sauce on one side of the 13X9 and mild everything on the other side. I stick a few red toothpicks on the hot side to "mark" it. (Or you can use jarred jalapenos and sprinkle them on last over half so they can be seen.) My family loves anything Mexican so I usually double it and wrap the leftovers in flour tortillas and throw them in the freezer. They are wonderful!
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 3 onions, chopped
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pepper
- 3 garlic cloves (minced)
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 lbs refried beans
- 1 (3 7/8 ounce) cansliced olives
- 1 (4 ounce) canortega chili peppers (hot, mild or mixture)
- 1 lb shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 (16 ounce) jar taco sauce or 12 ounces salsa
- 1 lb tortilla chips, for scooping
- Brown and drain the hamburger. Add the onion and garlic and the rest of the sauce ingredients. Simmer for at least 1/2 hour.
- In a 13X9 pan, spread the refried beans.
- Pour the meat mixture over the beans.
- olives,ortega peppers,cheese,salsa.
- (This can be made up to 2 days ahead and frozen or refridgerated until heating.).
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350.
- (If it's cold, allow extra time.).
Outstanding! I used ground turkey, and even my friend who says he hates ground turkey, raved about it. 5 Stars! It's a keeper. Thank you!