Prep 10 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a great meal for a cold day. I occasionally add mushrooms for a change.
- 1 lb lean beef, cut into small cubes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups diced potatoes
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup Burgundy wine (I use cooking wine)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can beef broth
- 1⁄8 cup flour
- In a large skillet, brown the beef with onion and garlic.
- Add carrots, potatoes, salt and pepper, thyme, wine, beef broth and tomato paste.
- Bring to a boil, then let simmer for three hours.
- (This can be boiled longer if you are short on time.) Mix flour and water to a make a medium thick liquid.
- Bring the stew to a boil and then slowly stir in just enough of the flour to thicken the stew to you liking.