Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean beef, cubed
- cooking spray
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups red Burgundy wine
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 sprigs celery leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 pinch thyme
- 1⁄8 cup bacon bits
- 12 small white onions
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- parsley, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spray skillet with non-stick spray, heat and add beef browning quickly on all sides.
- Transfer meat to oven-proof container and add salt, pepper, garlic, wine and 1 cup of water - mixed with cornstarch (or enough to cover meat).
- Bring mixture to a boil.
- Tie the sprigs of celery and parsley together with string for thread.
- Add celery/parsley bundle, bay leaf and thyme to pan.
- Cover tightly and place in oven for 2 hours or until meat is tender.
- Skim off fat and remove the celery, parsley and bay leaf.
- Spray skillet again and add onions and cook until lightly browned, stirring gently.
- Add onions and bacon bits to meat mixture.
- Recover and put back in oven for an additional 15 minutes.
- Spray skillet and add mushrooms and lemon juice(you may add a little water if needed.).
- Cook gently for about 2 minutes.
- Sprinkle mushrooms and chopped parley over beef mixture.
- Serve immediately.