This classic beef bourguignon is wonderful. We especially enjoy it on a fall or winter day. I typically reduce a significant portion of the cooking time by using the pressure cooker. Each pressure cooker is different, so you would need to refer to your pressure cooker instructions to adjust cooking time.
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 lb boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 ounces mushrooms, halved
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon
- 10 ounces small white pearl onions, peeled (about 24)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- Cook bacon in a heavy 4 qrt Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat until crisp.
- Transfer bacon with slotted spoon to a medium bowl; set aside.
- Brown meat with garlic, transferring it to a plate.
- Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- Add mushrooms to drippings in pan; cook 3- 4 minutes or until mushrooms are browned, stirring frequently.
- Transfer mushrooms to bowl with bacon.
- Set aside.
- Return meat with any juices to pan; add onions, broth, wine, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- Cover; simmer 1 hour.
- Combine flour and water, mixing until smooth.
- Stir into meat mixture.
- Stir in reserved mushroom mixture.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- Simmer, uncovered, 34- 40 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove thyme sprig if fresh thyme was used.
- Serve over noodles, rice or potatoes, if desired.
Fantastic! I substituted Canadian bacon for the regular bacon, and this recipe was wonderful. It's a definate keeper.
Delicious! Only changes were we added rosemary, skipped the mushrooms and cooked it in a pressure cooker. First brown the bacon in a skillet. Brown the meat and garlic in the pressure cooker. Then add the seasonings, broth, wine, onions and cooked bacon. Put the lid on the pressure cooker and cook according to your pressure cookers directions. After the rocker gauge started rocking ours took apx. 30 minutes. Once the pressure goes down remove the lid and add the flour and water mixture to thicken. Served ours over egg noodles.
I made this last Friday night for the five of us and everyone thought it was wonderful. I used cubed tenderloin from a roast I made a few days earlier and followed the rest of the recipe as written. Served it over wide egg noodles and it was delish! The boys had seconds and there were no left-overs which proves how good this was! Thanks so much for sharing this,PanNan!