1/1 Photo of Beef Burgundy
2 hrs 15 mins
This classic beef bourguignon is wonderful. We especially enjoy it on a fall or winter day. I typically reduce a significant portion of the cooking time by using the pressure cooker. Each pressure cooker is different, so you would need to refer to your pressure cooker instructions to adjust cooking time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 slices bacon, diced
- 1 lb boneless beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 12 ounces mushrooms, halved
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups dry red wine, such as cabernet sauvignon
- 10 ounces small white pearl onions, peeled (about 24)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 1Cook bacon in a heavy 4 qrt Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat until crisp.
- 2Transfer bacon with slotted spoon to a medium bowl; set aside.
- 3Brown meat with garlic, transferring it to a plate.
- 4Sprinkle evenly with salt and pepper.
- 5Add mushrooms to drippings in pan; cook 3- 4 minutes or until mushrooms are browned, stirring frequently.
- 6Transfer mushrooms to bowl with bacon.
- 7Set aside.
- 8Return meat with any juices to pan; add onions, broth, wine, and thyme.
- 9Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low.
- 10Cover; simmer 1 hour.
- 11Combine flour and water, mixing until smooth.
- 12Stir into meat mixture.
- 13Stir in reserved mushroom mixture.
- 14Bring to a boil; reduce heat.
- 15Simmer, uncovered, 34- 40 minutes or until meat is tender and sauce thickens, stirring occasionally.
- 16Remove thyme sprig if fresh thyme was used.
- 17Serve over noodles, rice or potatoes, if desired.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Burgundy
Serving Size: 1 (326 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 222.8
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.6 g
- Saturated Fat 2.2 g
- Cholesterol 51.1 mg
- Sodium 541.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 3.5 g
- Protein 20.6 g