Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This recipe is from best of the best from NEW ENGLAND cookbook. I have served this at several dinner parties and it gets complimented every time. It is simple to make and delicious. I usually serve with rice and a salad. One of my co-workers actually asks me once in a while to make for her and her husband, as she has 2 jobs, and not much time to cook. Enjoy
- 2 large yellow onions
- 4 lbs beef sirloin tip, cut in cubes
- celery salt
- ground nutmeg
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- chop onions, brown in small amount oil or butter in skillet. ( I use olive oil) Remove to deep casserole or dutch oven. dust meat with flour and brown well in skillet with salt, pepper, celery salt, garlic and little nutmeg. Add to casserole dish.
- Brown sliced fresh mushrooms in butter and add. Pour beef stock and wine over all. Stir lightly. Cover tightly and cook in 325 degree oven for at least 2 1/2 hours, serve with rice, or wild rice.
- spice amounts are to taste.
- 1-2 cans water chestnuts can also be added (optional).
Easy and delicious dish - a winning combination in my book! I'm not a fan of onions, so left mine in big chunks instead of dicing, otherwise made as directed. The nutmeg added a nice flavor dimension with the celery salt and garlic. Great recipe that I will use again - thanks for sharing it! Made for Spring Pick-A-Chef 2011
Served with thin egg noodles it was excellent! I left out the nutmeg (personal preference) but otherwise made using the recipe. We enjoyed it a lot and will have it again most definately! Thanks for the recipe!