Recipe by Lainey39
The bacon - a classic ingredient in a French-style beef stew - has been dropped from this recipe. But it doesn't trade a juicy beef chuck for tougher rounds, even though chuck is a bit fattier. Instead, a lot more vegetables, like fresh mushrooms, carrots and frozen peas stretch the meat. Recipe is from Good Housekeeping.
Top Review by Fairy Nuff
Wow! We loved this casserole, it has so much flavour. I like the fact that it didn't have bacon as it reduced the fat and let the other ingredients shine. I used dutch carrots and diced the onion and served the peas separately otherwise made to the recipe. Excellent winter fare, served with mashed potatoes, peas and recipe #169154. Thank you for the recipe!!!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless beef chuck (trimmed of fat and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks)
- 3 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed with side of chef's knife
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups dry red wine
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 (10 ounce) packages mushrooms, each mushroom cut in half
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen peas
Directions See How It's Made
- In 5- to 6-quart Dutch oven, heat oil on medium-high heat until hot.
- Pat beef dry with paper towels.
- Add beef, in 2 batches, and cook 5-6 minutes per batch or until well browned on all sides.
- With slotted spoon, transfer beef to medium bowl.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- To drippings in Dutch oven, add carrots, garlic, and onion and cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are browned and tender, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in flour, tomato paste, 3/4 t salt and 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper; cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Add wine and heat to boiling, stirring until browned bits are loosened from bottom of Dutch oven.
- Return meat and any meat juices in bowl to Dutch oven.
- Add thyme and mushrooms, heat to boiling.
- Cover and bake 1 1/2 hours or until meat is fork tender, stirring once.
- Discard thyme sprigs.
- Just before stew is done, cook peas as label directs.
- Stir in peas.