Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Taste of Home Holiday Celebrations 2002
- 1 1⁄3 cups red wine
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh parsley, stemmed
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 dash dried thyme
- 2 lbs sirloin tip roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1⁄2 cup beef consomme, undiluted
- 6 cups water
- 20 white pearl onions
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- hot cooked noodles
- In a large plastic bag, combine the first 8 ingredients; add beef.
- Seal bag and turn to coat meat.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight, turning bag occasionally.
- Remove meat and pat dry with paper towels.
- Strain marinade and set aside; discard onion, parsley and bay leaf.
- Coat beef with flour.
- Brown meat on all sides in 2 tablespoons butter.
- Stir in consomme and reserved marinade.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until meat is tender.
- In a large saucepan, bring water to boil.
- Add pearl onions and boil for 3 minutes.
- Drain and rinse with cold water; peel.
- In a skillet, saute mushroom and onions in remaining butter until tender.
- Add to beef mixture.
- Simmer 10 minutes longer.
- Thicken if desired.
- Serve over noodles.