Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
Tender cubes of beef are treated to a burgundy wine sauce and savory vegetables in this robust entree.
- 6 slices bacon, diced
- 1 (3 lb) boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed beef broth, undiluted
- 1 small onion, halved and sliced
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup Burgundy wine or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2⁄3 cup cold water
- hot cooked noodles (optional)
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Use a slotted spoon to remove to paper towels. In the drippings, brown the beef; drain. Place beef and bacon in a 5-qt. slow cooker, Add the broth, onion, carrot, butter, tomato paste, garlic, thyme, salt, pepper and bay leaf. Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Add mushrooms and wine or broth. Combine flour and water until smooth; stir into slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 30-45 minutes or until thickened. Discard bay leaf. Serve over noodles if desired.
we made this for company, and seconds and thirds were had by all! My husband has lost 50 lbs on Atkins thanks to amazing recipes like these!!
Got this recipe from TOH. Great recipe! I like to add Worcestershire sauce and 4 carrots instead of 1. I like to add frozen petite green peas when adding the mushrooms, wine and flour. Full of flavor!
this is very good thank you for posting dee