Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
This is a fabulous recipe--one of my favorites! It is time consuming but so very worth it. I have doubled the recipe and frozen in individual size portions for leftover night. Enjoy! OAMC also.
- 3 ounces salt pork, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- 8 slices bacon
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef sirloin, cut in 1 1/2 in Cubes
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1 cup Burgundy wine
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sage
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 4 carrots, in 1 inch slices
- 4 ounces small mushrooms
- noodles or rice
- Brown salt pork in a large skillet. Put into a 3 1/2-quart oven-safe casserole.
- Fry bacon until lightly crisp. Cut into small pieces and add to the salt pork.
- Drain bacon fat and reserve.
- Brown 1/2 the beef in 2 T. of the bacon fat.
- Remove beef to the casserole. Repeat with remaining beef cubes.
- Mix flour with 2 T. bacon fat. Cook on med-low. Stir until well browned.
- Remove from heat; stir in beef stock and wine. Return to heat and bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer until thickened.
- Add seasonings. Stir, pour over the meat mixture in casserole.
- Cover and bake at 375° for 1 1/2 hours. Remove from heat and add the vegetables. Cover and bake for 1 1/2 hours longer.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Serve with rice or flat noodles.
- For OAMC: After all has cooled, put some noodles and some of the beef mixture into freezer ziplock bags or use a vacuum sealer after slightly frozen. To cook: Boil in bag or microwave. **I do this a lot with this recipe and its fantastic**.
i love this. i had tried this and was wonderful thank you for posting dee