Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
Taken from Margeret Fultons book of Indian Cooking.
Make and share this Beef Buffad recipe from Food.com.
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 green chilies, chopped
- 3 1⁄2 cm piece ginger, chopped
- 750 g chuck steaks, cubed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 1⁄4 cups coconut milk, or
- 90 g cream coconut melted in 1 cup warm water
- 1⁄2 cup vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onions and fry until they are just beginning to brown, then add the garlic, chillies and ginger. Fry for 1 minute, then add the beef and remaining spices.
- Sitr well and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the coconut milk, which should just cover the meat; if it does not, add a little water.
- Add salt to taste.
- Bring to a simmering point, cover and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, until the meat is almost tender.
- Add the vingear and continue cooking for about 30 minutes, until the meat is tender and the gravy thick.
This is very good, it has a taste somewhat like vindaloo, I imagine because of the vinegar. We were suspicious of the amount of vinegar so added it some at a time until we felt we were at the right place, which was half of the called for amount. We also used sirloin in this, which was a good thing, as it cut about 45 minutes off the cooking time to get the meat tender. Has a nice heat level! Thanks for sharing-