2 hrs 20 mins
Although a rich stew like this is often made with fatty chuck, bottom round provides a healthy alternative without compromising flavor.
My Private Note
1 cup s ...
Units: US | Metric
- nonstick cooking spray
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless bottom round roast, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms or 1 lb white button mushrooms, cleaned and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons stemmed fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups reduced-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle Guinness stout
- 1/2 cup uncooked brown rice
- 1Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- 2Spray a large casserole or oven-safe saucepan with nonstick cooking spray and set over medium heat. Add the meat (working in batches if necessary) and brown on all sides, turning occasionally, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 3Spray again with nonstick spray and add the onions. Cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and continue cooking, stirring frequently, until they release their liquid, about 4 minutes.
- 4Stir in the thyme, caraway seeds, salt and pepper; cook until aromatic, about 15 seconds.
- 5Pour in the broth and beer, stirring until the foam dissipates. Stir the beef back into the stew and bring to a simmer. Cover and place in the oven to bake for 30 minutes.
- 6Stir in the rice. Cover and bake until the meat and rice are tender, stirring once or twice, about 1 more hour.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef, Brown Rice and Mushroom Stew
Serving Size: 1 (927 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 529.9
- Calories from Fat 49
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.8 g
- Cholesterol 69.1 mg
- Sodium 489.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 31.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
reduced-sodium vegetable broth