5 hrs 30 mins
This brisket is out-of-this-world! Don't skimp on the onions - they are the crowning glory of this incredible dish. I found it under 'recipes' on the Williams Sonoma website.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 -5 lbs first-cut beef brisket
- salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 1/2 cup carrot, chopped small
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can plum tomatoes, with juice
- 2 cups merlot
- 1 bay leaf
For Caramelized Onions
- 1Preheat the oven to 325.
- 2Season brisket all over with the salt and pepper.
- 3In a large roasting pan with a tight-fitting lid or a dutch oven, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat.
- 4Add the brisket and brown well on all sides.
- 5Transfer to a plate.
- 6Add the onion and carrot to the pan and saute until golden, about 6 minutes.
- 7Add the garlic and saute about 2 minutes more.
- 8Add the tomatoes and juices, 1 cup of the wine and the bay leaf, mix well and bring to a boil.
- 9Return brisket to the pan, cover and place in the oven.
- 10Cook, basting occasionally, for about 3 hours, or until the brisket is fork-tender.
- 11Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the juices.
- 12Transfer the brisket to a deep platter and cover with aluminum foil.
- 13Refrigerate until cold, up to overnight.
- 14Let the pan juices cool, then pass through a sieve or food mill into a bowl.
- 15Discard the solids and refrigerate until ready to use.
- 16Just before serving, preheat the oven to 350.
- 17Slice the brisket thinly and arrange on an oven-proof serving platter.
- 18Cover with aluminum foil and warm in the oven for 15 minutes.
- 19Meanwhile, cook the onions: Warm the olive oil in a large fry pan and add the sliced onions.
- 20Saute, stirring often, until golden brown and sweet.
- 21Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
- 22While onions are sauteing, pour the remaining cup of wine into a saucepan over high heat.
- 23Add 1/4 cup of the dried cherries and bring to a boil.
- 24Boil until wine is reduced by half and then stir in reserved brisket juices.
- 25Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper.
- 26To serve, remove the brisket from the oven.
- 27Pour the sauce over the meat and then top with the caramelized onions.
- 28Sprinkle with the remaining dried cherries and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Roast Beef Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Roast Beef Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Brisket With Cherry-Merlot Sauce and Caramelized Onions
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.6
- Calories from Fat 605
- Total Fat 67.2 g
- Saturated Fat 25.2 g
- Cholesterol 165.5 mg
- Sodium 160.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 16.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 40.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: