Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
This is my favorite brisket recipe. The addition of lots of celery and onions along with the juice makes wonderful sandwiches. Recipe is for a crockpot.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs beef brisket, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped celery
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 3⁄4 cup beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons onion soup mix
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a large skillet, brown the brisket on all sides in oil; transfer to a slow cooker.
- In the same skillet, saute celery and onion for 1 minute.
- Gradually add broth, tomato sauce and water; stir to loosen the browned bits from pan.
- Add sugar, soup mix and vinegar; bring to a boil.
- Pour over brisket.
- Cover and cook on low for 7-8 hours or until meat is tender.
- Let stand for 5 minutes before slicing.
- Skim fat from cooking juices.
- Serve meat in buns with cooking juices.
Very tender and delicious sandwich meat. I hopped my celery and onions very very fine (included those celery leaves, too). I skipped the water and added extra tomato sauce. Added lots of fresh minced garlic, too. I was gone for much of the day and my house smelled fantastic when I returned. The meat shredded practically effortlessly with forks. I'll make this again; thanx for sharing.