Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
The Best Recipes in the World; Mark Bittman. Reportedly a specialty of southwestern France. He recommends using Montbazillac, a good Sauterne ,or Barzac. The sauce is described as “nicely but not cloyingly sweet”. Recommended to serve over buttered noodles.
Top Review by FoodFromSicily
I really loved this! Flat iron steaks worked great with this recipe. They only took about 1 1/2 hours of simmering to become tender. The flavor was mildy sweet and savory and the carrots & onion gravy was out of this world. I didn't have any noodles, but served this with good italian bread. Very easy and extremely good. Will be making this again. I'm always looking for ways to cook less expensive cuts of meat and this fits the bill perfectly. Thanks for submitting!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 -3 lbs beef brisket or 2 -3 lbs boneless beef chuck
- black pepper
- 3 large onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 -3 medium carrots, cut into chunks
- 1 cup sweet white wine
Directions See How It's Made
- Add 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over med-high heat; wait a minute or so and when the oil is hot, add the beef.
- Brown the beef well on both sides, about 10 minutes, adjusting heat so the meat browns but does not burn.
- Sprinkle the meat with salt and pepper as it browns.
- Transfer meat to a plate; decrease heat to medium.
- Add the remaining oil and vegetables to the skillet; stir once, then cover.
- Cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the onions are browned, dry, and almost sticking to the pan.
- Uncover, then add the wine and stir.
- Add in the meat and cover again.
- Adjust the heat so the mixture simmers steadily but not violently and cook until the meat is tender (this may be as short as 90 minutes or as long as 3 hours).
- Transfer meat to a cutting board; let it rest for a couple of minutes.
- Taste and adjust the sauce seasoning; you should be able to taste the pepper.
- If the mixture is very thin (unlikely), boil it down for a few minutes, as needed.
- Carve the meat and serve it with the sauce spooned over it.