5 hrs 5 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
Delicious and hearty! Goes good with mashed potatoes, carrots and of course my recipe for Classic English Suet Dumplings!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 lbs braising steak, cut into 2 inch pieces
- 2 ounces unsalted butter
- 4 slices thick smoked streaky bacon, cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 4 onions, thinly sliced
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 3/4 pints Guinness stout
- 12 stoned ready to eat prunes
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1Preheat oven to 300*F.
- 2Put the flour into a large plastic bag, add the meat a few pieces at a time and shake to coat.
- 3Meanwhile, melt half the butter in a large flameprrof caserole and fry the meat in batches until browned and crusty.
- 4Remove the meat and set aside.
- 5Add the remaining butter to the pan and fry the bacon until crisp.
- 6Add the onions, thyme ad bay leaves and cook for 5 minutes over medium heat until softened.
- 7Tip in any flour remaining in the bag and sir well, scraping the base of the pan.
- 8Increase the heat and pour in the Guinness, stirring well, again scraping the base of the pan.
- 9Return the beef to the pan and stir in the prunes, vinegar and sugar.
- 10Season well, bring to a boil, cover then bake in the oven for 4 hours.
- 11Stir in the Dijon mustard and return to the oven for another 30 minutes.
- 12Serve with dumplings.
- 13(See my recipe for Classic English Suet Dumplings).
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Braised in Beer
Serving Size: 1 (1522 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1336.4
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.5 g
- Saturated Fat 10.7 g
- Cholesterol 205.3 mg
- Sodium 392.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 87.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.8 g
- Sugars 15.6 g
- Protein 78.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: