Top Review by judy 1020
Everything went along speedily and fine until steps 8-18. For ease and quick preparation, I would use my favorite pasta sauce instead of laboring over those afore mentioned steps. The presentation would still be spectacular for most folks!
- 1 lb boneless beef round steak, cut into 4 thin slices approximately 1/3 inch thick
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon pignolis (pine nuts)
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cansimported Italian tomatoes
- 1⁄4 cup tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped chopped fine
- 1 cup dry red wine
- flour, spread on a plate for dredging
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Place each slice of beef between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat pounder until 1/4 inch thick.
- Sprinkle with salt& pepper.
- Lay a slice of prosciutto on each one and sprinkle evenly with with the pignoli beans, pecorino romano cheese, garlic and parsley.
- Roll up the slices, tucking in the ends and tie with kitchen string.
- Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- Dredge the braciole in flour shaking off any excess, then place in the pan.
- Cook until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- Heat the other 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, carrots, and celery.
- Cook, stirring until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- Add braciole, bay leaves, and salt& pepper.
- Add red wine and cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- Pass the tomatoes, with their juices through a food mill or sieve into the saucepan.
- Fill one of the tomato cans 1/2 way with water and add to saucepan.
- Add tomatoe puree, turn heat to low and cook at a simmer until beef is tender 1 1/2-2 hours.
- Sprinkle the basil over the rolls, and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- Transfer to serving plates, spoon the sauce over the top and serve at once.