1/3 Photos of Beef Braciole
2 hrs 30 mins
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb boneless beef round steak, cut into 4 thin slices approximately 1/3 inch thick
- 4 slices prosciutto
- 1 tablespoon pignolis (pine nuts)
- 2 tablespoons grated pecorino romano cheese
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 (28 ounce) cans imported Italian tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped fine
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped fine
- 2 stalks celery, chopped chopped fine
- 1 cup dry red wine
- flour, spread on a plate for dredging
- salt and pepper
- 1Place each slice of beef between 2 sheets of plastic wrap and pound with a meat pounder until 1/4 inch thick.
- 2Sprinkle with salt& pepper.
- 3Lay a slice of prosciutto on each one and sprinkle evenly with with the pignoli beans, pecorino romano cheese, garlic and parsley.
- 4Roll up the slices, tucking in the ends and tie with kitchen string.
- 5Heat 1/4 cup of the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat.
- 6Dredge the braciole in flour shaking off any excess, then place in the pan.
- 7Cook until browned on all sides, about 15 minutes.
- 8Heat the other 1/4 cup of olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- 9Add the onion, carrots, and celery.
- 10Cook, stirring until tender but not browned, about 10 minutes.
- 11Add braciole, bay leaves, and salt& pepper.
- 12Add red wine and cook until most of liquid evaporates, about 2 minutes.
- 13Pass the tomatoes, with their juices through a food mill or sieve into the saucepan.
- 14Fill one of the tomato cans 1/2 way with water and add to saucepan.
- 15Add tomatoe puree, turn heat to low and cook at a simmer until beef is tender 1 1/2-2 hours.
- 17Sprinkle the basil over the rolls, and cook for 2 minutes longer.
- 18Transfer to serving plates, spoon the sauce over the top and serve at once.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Braciole
Serving Size: 1 (582 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 409.7
- Calories from Fat 264
- Total Fat 29.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.9 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 66.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 25.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.8 g
- Sugars 14.6 g
- Protein 4.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
beef round steak
pecorino romano cheese