Recipe by spoilme
From a Southern Living cookbook. This entree tastes better when made 1 day in advance. Warm in Dutch oven over medium heat until thoroughly heated.
- 1⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 2 1⁄4 lbs beef stew meat
- 3 bacon, slices chopped and divided
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups dry red wine
- 1 (14 ounce) can beef broth
- 8 cups mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (16 ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 7 cups egg noodles, cooked
- 3 tablespoons parsley
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp pepper in large zip-top plastic bag. Add beef; seal bag and shake to coat.
- Cook half of bacon in large Dutch oven over medium-high heat until crisp. Remove bacon with slotted spoon and set aside. Add half of beef to drippings in pan; cook 5 minutes, browning on all sides. Remove beef, cover and keep warm. Repeat process with remaining bacon and beef.
- Add chopped onion, carrot, and garlic to pan; saute 5 minutes. Stir in wine and broth, scraping pan to lossen browned bits. Add bacon, beef, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, mushrooms, and next 4 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes.
- Uncover and cook 1 hour or until beef is tender. Discard bay leaves. Serve over noodles, sprinkling with parsley.