Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 5 medium onions, sliced
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms
- 2 teaspoons shortening
- 2 lbs stew meat
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon marjoram, Crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme, Crushed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 3⁄4 cup beef stock
- 1 1⁄2 cups Burgundy wine
- Cook and stir onions and mushrooms in hot shortening until onions are tender; drain on paper towels.
- Brown meat in same skillet; add more shortening as necessary. remove from heat.
- Sprinkle seasonings over meat.
- Mix flour and beef stock; pour into skillet.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil 1 min.
- Stir in BUrgundy.
- Cover; simmer until meat is tender, 1 1/2 to 2 hr.
- The liquid should always just cover the meat. (If necessary, add a little more bouillon and Burgundy - 1 part bouillon to 2 parts Burgundy.) Gently stir in onions and mushrooms; cook uncovered 15 min., or until heated through.