Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Posted in response to request. This is a hearty, low sodium version of a classical stew. The recipe is from a Medical Center in San Francisco.
- 12 lbs lean beef, well trimmed,cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons oil
- 3 1⁄2 ounces flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons marjoram or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons basil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 lbs onions, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs carrots, sliced
- 12 ounces celery, diced
- 3 1⁄2 cups water or 3 1⁄2 cups no-salt-added beef broth (divided)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh gingerroot, grated (optional)
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 bay leaves
- 5 1⁄2 cups Burgundy wine
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 2⁄3 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 6 1⁄2 lbs noodles
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- Dry meat cubes well and coat with paprika.
- In a large, heavy pot, heat oil and brown meat.
- Mix together flour, marjoram or basil, thyme, and pepper and sprinkle over meat.
- Continue to brown for 10 minutes more.
- In another pot, cook onions, carrots, and celery in a little of the salt-free broth or water.
- Add vegetables to the meat with ginger root (if desired), garlic, bay leaves, wine, remaining water or broth, and soy sauce.
- Simmer for 2 1/2-3 hours or until beef is tender Fifteen minutes before stew is done, add sliced mushrooms (if desired) Cook noodles and drain.
- Serve a No.6 dipper of stew over 1 cup of noodles.
- Garnish with parsley.
OUTSTANDING! Thanks for sharing your recipe, fixed it for a family supper and then for a church supper and both ended up with raving reviews. The only thing I tweaked was the spices. Thanks again!