1/1 Photo of Beef Bourguignonne
1 hr 20 mins
Source: Barefoot Contessa
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (3 lb) filet of beef, trimmed
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper, for seasoning plus
- 1 teaspoon salt, and
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 -4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 lb bacon, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups good dry red wine, such as Burgundy or 1 1/2 cups chianti wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/2 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 8 -10 carrots, cut diagonally into 1-inch-thick slices
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 lb mushroom, sliced 1/4-inch thick (domestic or wild)
- 1With a sharp knife, cut the fillet crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices.
- 2Salt and pepper the fillets on both sides.
- 3In a large, heavy-bottomed pan on medium-high heat, saute the slices of beef in batches with 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until browned on the outside and very rare inside, about 2 to 3 minutes on each side.
- 4Remove the fillets from the pan and set aside on a platter.
- 5In the same pan, saute the bacon on medium-low heat for 5 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- 6Remove the bacon and set it aside.
- 7Drain all the fat, except 2 tablespoons, from the pan.
- 8Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- 9Deglaze the pan with the red wine and cook on high heat for 1 minute, scraping the bottom of the pan.
- 10Add the beef stock, tomato paste, thyme, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- 11Bring to a boil and cook uncovered on medium-high heat for 10 minutes.
- 12Strain the sauce and return it to the pan.
- 13Add the onions and carrots and simmer uncovered for 20 to 30 minutes, until the sauce is reduced and the vegetables are cooked.
- 14With a fork mash 2 tablespoons butter and the flour into a paste and whisk it gently into the sauce.
- 15Simmer for 2 minutes to thicken.
- 16Meanwhile, saute the mushrooms separately in 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil for about 10 minutes, until browned and tender.
- 17Add the fillet of beef slices, the mushrooms, and the bacon to the pan with the vegetables and sauce.
- 18Cover and reheat gently for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 19Do not over cook. Season, to taste, and serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Stocks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Bourguignonne
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 737.5
- Calories from Fat 509
- Total Fat 56.5 g
- Saturated Fat 21.7 g
- Cholesterol 140.5 mg
- Sodium 773.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 34.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
filet of beef