Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
From first bite to last slurp, you won't be able to get enough of this french bistro style soup, made entirely in one pot.l
- beef short rib (bone-in 2 inches thick, 2 pounds total)
- 1 tablespoon salt (coarse)
- 1 tablespoon pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (extra-virgin)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (button, quartered)
- 3 carrots (, 2 finely chopped and 1 cut into 3/4-inch cubes)
- 3 shallots (, minced)
- 2 celery ribs (, coarsely chopped)
- 2 slices bacon (, thinly sliced crosswise)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon thyme (fresh)
- 1 bay leaf (dried)
- 1 cup dry red wine (, such as Burgundy)
- 8 cups beef stock (homemade or store-bought low-sodium)
- 2 cups water
- 1. Season ribs with 1/2 teaspoon salt and some pepper. Coat with cornstarch. Heat oil in a large heavy pot (preferably enameled cast iron) over medium-high heat. Lightly brown ribs on all sides, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- 2. Add mushrooms to pot. Cook until browned, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a bowl; add cubed carrot.
- 3. Add shallots, celery, bacon, and chopped carrots to pot. Cook until caramelized, about 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste.
- 4. Return ribs with plate juices to pot. Add thyme and bay leaf. Raise heat to high. Add wine. Cook, scraping up brown bits with a wooden spoon, until slightly reduced, about 1 minute. Add stock and water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer, partially covered, until beef is tender, 2 to 2 1/2 hours.
- 5. Remove ribs. Separate meat from bones; discard. Cut meat into bite-size pieces; return to pot. Add reserved mushroom-carrot mixture. Bring to a simmer; cook until cubed carrots are tender. Season with salt. Ladle soup over bowls of herbed egg noodles and serve with horseradish chive bread on the side.