This is a French country beef stew cooked using a pressure cooker. I found it in the Better Homes and Gardens Pressure Cooker Cookbook. I did make a few changes to clarify some steps. I have not tried it myself yet, so let me know if you try it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs lean boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 2 2/3 cups fresh mushrooms, halved (8 ounces)
- 3/4 cup onion, cut into wedges
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2/3 cup beef broth or 2/3 cup beef stock
- 2/3 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 cup water
- 6 cups hot cooked egg noodles (12 oz uncooked)
- 1In a 4 or 6 quart pressure cooker, combine beef, carrots, mushrooms, onion, garlic, bay leaf, salt, thyme, black pepper, beef broth or beef stock, wine and tomato paste.
- 2Place seal in the pressure cooker lid and lock the lid in place. Place pressure regulator on vent pipe and bring to pressure over high heat. Reduce heat just enough to maintain pressure so the pressure regulator rocks gently. Cook for 12 minutes.
- 3Remove cooker from heat and allow pressure to come down naturally. Once pressure is down, remove pressure regulator from lid. (Be careful - it will be hot!) Unlock lid and carefully remove it.
- 4Remove the bay leaf and discard. In a small bowl stir together flour and 1/4 cup water till well combined. Add this mixture to cooker. Replace cooker over medium to medium high heat (but do not replace lid), and cook until stew is thickened and bubbly, stirring frequently. Once stew begins to thicken, continue cooking for 1 minute more.
- 5Remove cooker from heat.
- 6Serve stew over egg noodles.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Bourguignon Ala Pressure Cooker
Serving Size: 1 (437 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 451.1
- Calories from Fat 94
- Total Fat 10.5 g
- Saturated Fat 3.8 g
- Cholesterol 121.2 mg
- Sodium 564.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 33.6 g