Recipe by mariposa13
From The Everyday Low Carb Slow Cooker Cookbook. Per Serving: 585 calories, 43g protein, 9 net carbs, 37g fat, 140mg cholesterol, 1431mg sodium
- 8 pieces cooked bacon, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons thyme
- 1⁄4 cup tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 (10 ounce) packages mushrooms, quartered
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons celery salt
- 2 lbs beef stew meat, fat trimmed
- 1 (1 lb) bag frozen pearl onions, thawed
Directions See How It's Made
- Add first 10 ingredients (bacon through tapioca) to crockpot; stir well to combine.
- In medium skillet, over med heat, warm 1 tbsp oil; add mushrooms and celery salt to the pan.
- Increase heat to med-high and cook mushrooms until they are browned and have given off their liquid (about 5 min).
- Drain mushrooms and add them to the crockpot.
- Return skillet to heat, add remaining olive oil and brown the beef in the oil.
- Add the beef and onions to the crockpot, then stir all ingredients well.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 hours.
- Stir stew well and cook 1 hr more. Remove bay leaf before serving.