Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
A truly satisfying recipe- even better when started a day ahead, so it's great for entertaining. Serve with a crusty baguette to sop up all the wonderful gravy.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, halved or quartered
- 1 large onion, chopped coarsely
- 2 lbs boneless blade roast, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- salt and pepper
- roasted vegetables (optional)
- Fry the diced bacon in a large pot until browned and remove from pot.
- Add mushrooms and onions to bacon fat and sauté until soft, about five minutes.
- Remove from pot.
- Brown beef a little at a time, adding vegetable oil if needed.
- Sprinkle flour over meat.
- Add wine, stock, garlic, tomato paste and seasonings.
- Cook in a slow oven, about 300 degrees, covered, for 2-3 hours.
- I try to do this the day before and then let sit in the frig overnight,which makes the meat incredibly tender and flavourful.
- Add bacon, mushrooms and onions and cook for at least another hour in a slow oven.
- I sometimes roast some root vegetables- carrots, parsnips, turnip and potato and add for the last half hour, but it's equally tasty without.
- You could also add a bit of hot sauce or Worcestershire sauce if you want to spice it up a bit.
I made this what seems like ages ago, and regrettably, never reviewed it. What I don't regret is choosing this recipe to try...my husband absolutely LOVED it (as did we all). Thank you very much!