1/1 Photo of Beef Bourguignon
1 hr 45 mins
1 hr 15 mins
Recipe courtesy of Barefoot Contessa This looked so good! For serving: Country bread or Sour Dough, toasted or grilled and rubbed with garlic clove 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, optional
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces dry cured center cut applewood smoked bacon, diced
- 2 1/2 lbs beef chuck, cut into 1 inch cubes
- kosher salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lb carrot, sliced diagonally into 1 inch chunks
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic (2 cloves)
- 1/2 cup cognac
- 1 (750 ml) bottle good dry red wine, such as cote du rhone or 1 (750 ml) bottle pinot noir wine
- 1 (2 cup) can beef broth
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leave (1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 lb frozen small whole onions
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, stems discarded caps thickly sliced
- 1Preheat the oven to 250°F.
- 2Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven.
- 3Add the bacon and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is lightly browned.
- 4Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon to a large plate.
- 5Dry the beef cubes with paper towels and then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- 6In batches in single layers, sear the beef in the hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides.
- 7Remove the seared cubes to the plate with the bacon and continue searing until all the beef is browned.
- 8Set aside.
- 9Toss the carrots, and onions, 1 tablespoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper in the fat in the pan and cook for 10 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are lightly browned.
- 10Add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- 11Add the Cognac, stand back, and ignite with a match to burn off the alcohol.
- 12Put the meat and bacon back into the pot with the juices.
- 13Add the bottle of wine plus enough beef broth to almost cover the meat.
- 14Add the tomato paste and thyme.
- 15Bring to a simmer, cover the pot with a tight-fitting lid and place it in the oven for about 1 1/4 hours or until the meat and vegetables are very tender when pierced with a fork.
- 16Combine 2 tablespoons of butter and the flour with a fork and stir into the stew.
- 17Add the frozen onions.
- 18Sauté the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of butter for 10 minutes until lightly browned and then add to the stew.
- 19Bring the stew to a boil on top of the stove, then lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 20Season to taste.
- 21To serve, toast the bread in the toaster or oven.
- 22Rub each slice on 1 side with a cut clove of garlic.
- 23For each serving, spoon the stew over a slice of bread and sprinkle with parsley.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (780 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 991.2
- Calories from Fat 571
- Total Fat 63.5 g
- Saturated Fat 25.4 g
- Cholesterol 192.5 mg
- Sodium 1267.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.9 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 54.2 g