1/2 Photos of Beef Bourguignon
4 hrs 45 mins
This recipe was given to me by a friend who had his own restaurant. I am convinced he got it from Julia Child! It is a favorite of all the members of my family, and wonderful to serve in the cold months of Winter. We have it with noodles and peas. If there is any left over, it is even better the next day!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 59.14 ml butter
- 680.38 g boneless beef chuck, cut in 1 1/2 inch cubes (it is important to use a cheap cut of meat)
- 118.29 ml brandy
- 226.79 g white pearl onion
- 226.79 g mushroom (small, fresh)
- 36.97 ml potato starch
- 4 beef bouillon cubes (dissolved in 1/4 cup water)
- 170.09 g can tomato paste
- 473.18 ml Burgundy wine
- 177.44 ml dry sherry
- 236.59 ml ruby port
- 1.23 ml pepper (freshly ground, more or less, to taste)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1Brown all Beef cubes in butter in a large Dutch oven, a few at a time.
- 2Do not crowd.
- 3In a small saucepan heat 1/4 cup of the Brandy until the vapors rise.
- 4Ignite and pour over the Beef.
- 5When the flames die, remove the beef and set aside.
- 6Add butter to Dutch oven and brown Onions over low heat.
- 7Add mushrooms and continue cooking, about 3 minutes.
- 8Remove Dutch oven from the heat.
- 9Stir in flour or starch, meat paste or cubes, and tomato paste.
- 10Blend well.
- 11Stir in Burgundy, Sherry, and Port.
- 12Bring just to boiling.
- 13Remove from heat and add Beef, Pepper, and Bay leaf.
- 14Bake, covered 300 degrees F for 3 to 4 hours.
- 15Add more Burgundy if mixture becomes too dry.
- 16Just before serving, again, flame 1/4 cup Brandy and pour over mixture.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 691.5
- Calories from Fat 158
- Total Fat 17.6 g
- Saturated Fat 8.4 g
- Cholesterol 135.0 mg
- Sodium 779.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 41.1 g