Recipe by Rita~
Hearty, tender beef in a red wine sauce. Serve with a loaf of crusty bread! In Memory of our Julia Child.
Top Review by shelly5tex
I have been wanting to make Julia Child's version for a long time, but every time I read the recipe I change my mind. Found this wonderful recipe and had to try!! It is outstanding!!!! I fed 7 adults with this recipe and had enough leftovers for one more serving. My only alterations to this recipe was to add about a tablespoon of tomato paste and a cup of beef broth. To die for!! Now one of my favorites!!
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 lbs cubed stew meat
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb button mushroom (Cleaned left whole)
- 1 lb white pearl onion, peeled
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl, combine the flour, salt and ground black pepper.
- Coat the beef cubes with this mixture.
- Melt the butter in cast iron pot over medium high heat. (Or if not worried about fat fry 3 bacon slices till browned remove and use the fat in place or with the butter).
- Add the meat and brown well on all sides.
- Add the onion, carrots, mushrooms, red pepper, and garlic to it.
- Saute for 5 to 10 minutes, or until onion is tender.
- Add the wine, bay leaf, parsley, and thyme.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove cover and bake for 30 more minutes.
- If needed add more wine, chicken broth, or water.
- Garnish with parsley and crumbled bacon.