1/1 Photo of Beef Bourguignon
2 hrs 30 mins
Elegant entree. I like to serve this at holiday time, or for company. You can make it ahead and reheat it, so it is hostess-friendly. This is Julia Chils' recipe, but I've simplified the directions.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1360.77-1814.36 g beef rump or 1360.77-1814.36 g sirloin tip steaks, cut into 1 inch cubes
- olive oil or peanut oil
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 473.18 ml sliced onions
- 709.77 ml strong red wine, such as mountain red or 709.77 ml Burgundy wine
- 473.18 ml strong beef stock or 473.18 ml canned beef consomme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 1.62 ml dried orange peel
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 2-3 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- 18-24 small white onions
- 226.79 g fresh sliced mushrooms (or more)
- 44.37 ml flour
- 118.29 ml water
- 1Heat oil in large skillet.
- 2Add as many pieces of beef to the pan as will fit without crowding.
- 3Brown on all sides on fairly high heat.
- 4Add more oil if needed.
- 5Repeat until all beef cubes are browned; transfer meat to a sprayed oven-proof casserole.
- 6Add onions and carrot to the skillet, and brown briefly; transfer to the oven-proof casserole.
- 7Set casserole over heat.
- 8Add wine, stock, bay leaf, thyme, orange peel, tomato, tomato paste, and garlic.
- 9Bring to a simmer, taste, and salt if necessary.
- 10Take off the stove, cover, and bake at 325F for 2-3 hours, checking for tenderness.
- 11THE ONIONS: to peel easily, drop onions into a saucepan of boiling water, bring back to a boil, and boil 1 min.
- 12drain, and drop in cold water.
- 13trim ends off, and slip skins off.
- 14MUSHROOMS: Trim, clean and slice mushrooms; saute briefly in 2 tbs.
- 16Finishing the stew: When meat is tender, combine flour and water in a jar and shake until smooth.
- 17Stir into stew, until blended and add mushrooms and onions.
- 18Cover and bake another 20-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- 19I serve this over noodles for an elegant holiday entree.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (426 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.7
- Calories from Fat 6
- Total Fat 0.7 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 346.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 14.3 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: