Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Elegant entree. I like to serve this at holiday time, or for company. You can make it ahead and reheat it, so it is hostess-friendly. This is Julia Chils' recipe, but I've simplified the directions.
- 1360.77-1814.36 g beef rump or 1360.77-1814.36 g sirloin tip steaks, cut into 1 inch cubes
- olive oil or peanut oil
- 1 large carrot, julienned
- 473.18 ml sliced onions
- 709.77 ml strong red wine, such as mountain red or 709.77 ml Burgundy wine
- 473.18 ml strong beef stock or 473.18 ml canned beef consomme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4.92 ml thyme
- 1.62 ml dried orange peel
- 1 large tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 14.79 ml tomato paste
- 2-3 clove garlic
- salt and pepper
- 18-24 small white onions
- 226.79 g fresh sliced mushrooms (or more)
- 44.37 ml flour
- 118.29 ml water
- Heat oil in large skillet.
- Add as many pieces of beef to the pan as will fit without crowding.
- Brown on all sides on fairly high heat.
- Add more oil if needed.
- Repeat until all beef cubes are browned; transfer meat to a sprayed oven-proof casserole.
- Add onions and carrot to the skillet, and brown briefly; transfer to the oven-proof casserole.
- Set casserole over heat.
- Add wine, stock, bay leaf, thyme, orange peel, tomato, tomato paste, and garlic.
- Bring to a simmer, taste, and salt if necessary.
- Take off the stove, cover, and bake at 325F for 2-3 hours, checking for tenderness.
- THE ONIONS: to peel easily, drop onions into a saucepan of boiling water, bring back to a boil, and boil 1 min.
- drain, and drop in cold water.
- trim ends off, and slip skins off.
- MUSHROOMS: Trim, clean and slice mushrooms; saute briefly in 2 tbs.
- Finishing the stew: When meat is tender, combine flour and water in a jar and shake until smooth.
- Stir into stew, until blended and add mushrooms and onions.
- Cover and bake another 20-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- I serve this over noodles for an elegant holiday entree.
Very nice! Adust to the crock potwell. The sauce was excellent, with just a hint of orange. Didn't use small onions, just sliced Vadalias. Definitely a keeper.THX
This was quick to prepare (well reasonably) and my girlfriend loved it, I thought it was a little strong on the wine taste and not as stewy as I would have liked, will make it again and try fiddling a bit and see how it goes!