Prep 30 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is the stew for those cold winter nights. The tenderness of the beef and the red wine just flavours this incredible stew. The key is to completely marinate the beef.
- 2 lbs beef (i use tenderloin but hip or shoulder stewing beef works)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, thinly sliced and cubed
- 2 cups onions, coursley chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped 1 inch lengths
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, chopped fine
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄2 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 lb whole button mushroom
- 1 1⁄2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 lb white pearl onion
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- combine beef wine and 4 cloves garlic and marinate overnight (8 hours).
- in a dutch oven heat 2 table spoons sunflower oil and stir in pancetta until slightly crip and remove.
- add 2 table spoon oil and saute mushroom carrot and celery with clove allspice, 4 cloves garlic and thyme 5 minutes remove and set aside with pancetta.
- remove beef from wine marinade and set wine marinade aside.
- Combine flour salt and pepper and dredge the beef completely.
- in dutch oven add 2 tablespoons oil and brown beef (in batches if necessary adding more oil if needed).
- add vegetables, pancetta to beef and stir for a minute.
- add wine marinade scraping all the bits from bottom of dutch oven.
- add tomato paste, water, beef stock, bay leaf and place in pre heated oven 325 for 3 hours.
- Saute pearl onions in butter for 3-5 minutes and in last 1/2 hour add to dutch oven.
- In a seperat pot boil potatos whole, 20 minutes let cool and peel skin, quarter the potato and add to dutch oven for last 5 minutes.
Absolutely tasty. You have to love wine to realy enjoy this it has such a rich flavour on the meat. I also used the tenderloin and so much flavour in the meat and so tender. Thanks I think if your not into the wine taste on the beef cut marinating time or substitute with garlic and oil.