1/1 Photo of Beef Bourguignon
3 hrs 30 mins
Chef #457852 - bggio's Note:
This is the stew for those cold winter nights. The tenderness of the beef and the red wine just flavours this incredible stew. The key is to completely marinate the beef.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef (i use tenderloin but hip or shoulder stewing beef works)
- 2 cups red wine
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil
- 4 ounces pancetta, thinly sliced and cubed
- 2 cups onions, coursley chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped 1 inch lengths
- 1 1/2 cups celery, chopped fine
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 lb whole button mushroom
- 1 1/2 lbs potatoes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 lb white pearl onion
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1combine beef wine and 4 cloves garlic and marinate overnight (8 hours).
- 2in a dutch oven heat 2 table spoons sunflower oil and stir in pancetta until slightly crip and remove.
- 3add 2 table spoon oil and saute mushroom carrot and celery with clove allspice, 4 cloves garlic and thyme 5 minutes remove and set aside with pancetta.
- 4remove beef from wine marinade and set wine marinade aside.
- 5Combine flour salt and pepper and dredge the beef completely.
- 6in dutch oven add 2 tablespoons oil and brown beef (in batches if necessary adding more oil if needed).
- 7add vegetables, pancetta to beef and stir for a minute.
- 8add wine marinade scraping all the bits from bottom of dutch oven.
- 9add tomato paste, water, beef stock, bay leaf and place in pre heated oven 325 for 3 hours.
- 10Saute pearl onions in butter for 3-5 minutes and in last 1/2 hour add to dutch oven.
- 11In a seperat pot boil potatos whole, 20 minutes let cool and peel skin, quarter the potato and add to dutch oven for last 5 minutes.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Bourguignon
Serving Size: 1 (661 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 620.3
- Calories from Fat 172
- Total Fat 19.1 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 98.1 mg
- Sodium 464.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 42.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: