Recipe by Verelucky
A hearty dinner that is impressive for company or family. Very beautiful looking! Takes a little time to make but worth it! I love to serve this with hot buttered egg noodles and hot crusty bread. A light salad and some red wine. Great for winter! This comes from my MIL!
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs stewing beef
- 2 small onions, sliced
- 8 -10 small white pearl onions, peeled
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1⁄2 cup cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1 -2 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 3 -4 cups red wine, beaujolais
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 sprigs fresh parsley, all tied up in
- 1 piece cheesecloth
Directions See How It's Made
- In large soup pot brown beef and the 2 sm onions that have been sliced quickly in 3 tblsp of butter over med high heat.
- Add flour and mix together well for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add crushed garlic and pour in sufficient wine to cover.
- Reduce heat to med low.
- In another pan, cook bacon in one tblsp of butter, drain.
- Add to stew pan with bouquet garni.
- Add 1/4 tsp of salt.
- Add 1/4 tsp of pepper.
- Cover and cook gently for 2 hrs over low heat.
- THIS NEXT STEP IS IMPORTANT FOR PRESENTATION:.
- Remove meat and pass sauce through a fine sieve lined with chesecloth.
- Return sauce and meat to pot. Add baby onions and cook for 15 min over med low heat. Add sliced mushrooms and cook for another 10 min over low heat.
- Serve in a large Urn and sprinkle with fresh parsley before serving.