5 hrs 30 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
I received this from my mother-in-law and she got it from her mother. This is so good. It's a bit involved, so I only make it once a year but it's easy to split up and freeze. It does require to be chilled overnight. This would also work well in a crock pot. Posted for Zaar World Tour 05
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs stew meat (or 4 lbs. of shind of beef or 4 lbs. of beef shanks)
- 1 large marrow, bone
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can tomatoes, undrained
- 1 medium onion, peeled &quartered
- 1 celery, cut up
- 3 parsley sprigs
- 6 whole black peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups shredded pared beets (or canned whole beets, NOT pickled)
- 3 cups coarsely shredded cabbage (1 lb. or about 1/2 of one cabbage)
- 1 1/2 cups thickly sliced pared carrots
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons dill weed (or 2 tbsp fresh)
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- sour cream
- 1First Day:.
- 2Place the marrow bone, 1 tablespoons salt, and 2 quarts water in a deep 8 quart (2 gal) kettle or soup pot.
- 3Cover and bring to a boil; skim the surface.
- 4Reduce heat; simmer, covered one hour.
- 5Add tomatoes, quartered onion, celery, parsley, peppercorns, and bay leaf; simmer, covered for 2 hours.
- 6Remove from heat.
- 7Lift out the beef; set aside.
- 8Remove marrow bone and discard.
- 9Strain the soup; skim off fat. (You should have about 9 cups of liquid.).
- 10Return the soup and beef to the kettle.
- 11Add beets, cabbage, carrots, chopped onion, dill, vinegar, sugar, and 1 teaspoons salt; bring to a boil.
- 12Reduce heat; simmer covered for 30 minute or until beef & veggies are tender.
- 13Remove from heat and refrigerate over night.
- 14Day Two:.
- 15Remove the beef from the soup. Cut it into cubes and return to the soup. Heat gently to boiling.
- 16Top each serving with a spoonful of sour cream and garnish with snipped dill.
- 17I have no idea how many servings this actually makes since I always divided it up and froze it. I've guessed for this and if I was wrong I apologize.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Beef Borscht With Sour Cream
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 190.6
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 37.9 mg
- Sodium 847.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 7.6 g
- Protein 11.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
whole black peppercorns