Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Cook2 hrs 45 mins
This is an adopted recipe, and any revisions will be made after I have made it should they be needed. Please feel free to let me know if you make it before me of anything you feel needs to be changed.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 2 lbs lean beef chuck, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large white onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dill seed
- 2 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 lbs red beets, greens tops removed, roasted and grated
- 1 lb potato, peeled and diced (yukon gold or russets)
- 6 cups green cabbage, shredded (one small head)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- red wine vinegar
- 1 cup sour cream or 1 cup creme fraiche
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh dill
- DAY ONE.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place the bacon in a Dutch oven or stockpot and cook, stirring, over medium-high heat until the fat begins to render, about 3 minutes.
- Continue cooking until slightly crisp.
- Add the beef and cook, stirring, until brown on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the meat from the pan with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- To the fat in the pan, add the onions and carrots, and stir to coat.
- Cook until soft, about 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, dill seeds, and bay leaves and cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
- Add the red wine vinegar and stir to deglaze the pan.
- Return the meat and bacon to the pot and add the stock, salt, and pepper and bring to boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer partially covered until the beef is tender, about 2 hours.
- Cool and refrigerate overnight Meanwhile, Brush with a little oil and place the beets wrapped in parchment and then foil on a baking sheet.
- Roast until tender and can be pierced easily with a knife, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven and let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Place in a bowl, cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
- DAY TWO.
- Trim the stem and root endsof the beets and remove the skins.
- Coarsely grate and set aside.
- Remove fat from the meat mixture, add the beets, potatoes, and cabbage.
- Bring to a boil and Simmer over low heat for another 30 minutes.
- Season with additional red wine vinegar, salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- Ladle borscht into bowls and garnish with a dollop of sour cream or creme fraiche and pinch of fresh dill.