Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Nice cozy supper 8)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (more if needed)
- 2 lbs lean chuck, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces dark beer
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 large onions, sliced into rings
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add beef skillet in batches--be careful and don't crowd pan; brown well on all sides.
- Remove from skillet using slotted spoon; when all beef is browned, return to the skillet.
- Sprinkle flour, stir to blend and season with a a little salt and pepper; cook 3 minutes.
- Remove to a Dutch oven using a slotted spoon; degrease skillet.
- Place over medium-high heat. Add beer and stir, scraping up any browned bits.
- Stir in the vinegar, mustard, bay leaf and thyme; pour the beer mixture over meat mixture.
- Melt butter in the skillet over medium-high. Add onion and sauté until golden brown. Add the garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes. Mix onions and garlic into meat.
- Bring stew to simmer. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Skim off the extra fat, if needed. Add carrots and cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- If stew is dry, add more water or broth as needed. If too liquid, cook uncovered until desired consistency.
- Serve hot and enjoy!