Recipe by **Mandy**
What could be more Aussie than the humble meat pie with the addition of another Aussie favourite..beer! I found this recipe in the Herald Sun & just had to give it go. For convenience the meat filling can be made up to 3 days in advance & refrigerated.
- 2 onions, diced
- 150 g bacon, chopped
- 600 g premium beef mince
- 200 g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1⁄2 cup red wine
- 1 1⁄2 cups beer
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- puff pastry
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 200.C.
- Saute onion & bacon until onion softens & bacon is cooked, set aside.
- Add mince to pan and cook until browned, add mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Return onion & bacon to pan and add flour, cook stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add wine & beer & simmer until most of the liquid has reduced to a sauce consistency.
- Add worcestershire sauce & parsley.
- Spoon mixture into individual pie dishes, cover with pastry, (brush with egg or milk if you like) & bake about 20 mins or until pastry is well risen, golden & crisp.
- NB/ If you choose to make fully enclosed pies, pastry top & bottom, allow mixture to cool before spooning into pastry otherwise it will become soggy.