Recipe by ElizabethKnicely
Tacos. We love tacos. The kids devour them. They love the crunchy mess. They love the flavors. They love to see how full they can make them. And they love to eat them on their special taco plates. (My mom gave us some for Christmas...GREAT gift!) I love the concept of making tacos in the oven...and melting the cheese over the top of the meat. Then piling on the toppings. I doubled up the beef-bean taco meat and stashed the other half in the freezer...I'm thinking about using it for stuffed peppers. Or another taco night. Or enchiladas. We'll see what kind of inspiration strikes (and what other ingredients I have on hand!) when I pull it out of the freezer in the near future. Below is the "doubled version" recipe for the taco meat. Half it, if you want just for this dinner. Make recipe as is, if you want to freeze some. Or if you have a large family. Or are feeding a lot of boys. You get the picture.
Top Review by Marg (CaymanDesigns)
My family LOVED these. I like the fact that they are so easy to prepare ahead of time and then bake right before serving. My box of taco shells had 12 shells in it. I don't know if they were smaller than shells that come in a box of 8, but I had no problem filling all 12. I used petite diced tomatoes to balance out the size of the tomatoes with the beans and meat pieces. I thought it worked well. We added salsa, sour cream and shredded lettuce to them after they were baked. They are already on the menu again!
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely diced
- 2 cups black beans
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 8 taco shells (for 1 meal)
- 1 cup shredded cheese (for 1 meal)
- toppings shredded lettuce, salsa, avocado chunks, guacamole, corn or side suggestions shredded lettuce, salsa, avocado chunks, guacamole, corn
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Brown the ground beef with the chopped onion. Once browned, drain well. Stir in the black beans, taco seasoning, diced tomatoes and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- Line up 8 taco shells in a 7x11-inch baking dish.
- Spoon meat mixture into the taco shells. Top with a pinchfuls of cheese. Bake in the preheated oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve Beef & Bean Oven Tacos with side of veggies.